- Filecoin Foundation for the Decentralized Web (FFDW), together with Blockchain Law for Social Good Center (BL4SG), will spotlight socially beneficial use cases of decentralized and emerging technologies at the Social Impact Summit 2024.
- The Social Impact Summit will focus on priority action areas including harnessing technology for global equity, harmonizing law and innovation, integrating integrity into the tech stack, and taking a global approach to redefining impact through blockchain and other emerging technologies.
- The Summit will feature experts from across law, policy, tech, and human rights, including: Crypto Council for Innovation, Ripple, Starling Labs, TechSoup, California Department of Justice, Creative Commons, Africa Blockchain Institute, the City of Berkeley, and more.
Filecoin Foundation for the Decentralized Web (FFDW) today announced the inaugural Social Impact Summit 2024, hosted with Blockchain Law for Social good Center (BL4SG). The Social Impact Summit will take place on Tuesday, February 27, 2024, at the University of San Francisco, and will bring together experts and leaders from across human rights, law, policy, and technology to discuss how decentralized and emerging technologies can drive innovation for social impact.
A snapshot of Social Impact Summit 2024 speakers includes:
- Rainey Reitman, Board President, Freedom of the Press Foundation
- Marta Belcher, Chair and President, Filecoin Foundation for the Decentralized Web
- George Oates, Co-founder and Executive Director, Flickr Foundation
- Ben Bartlett, Berkeley City Councilmember
- Sheila Warren, Chief Executive Officer, Crypto Council for Innovation
- Johnette Jauron, Senior Assistant Attorney General, California Department of Justice
- Deborah McCrimmon, Vice President, Deputy General Counsel, Litigation & Employment, Ripple
Together, participants will explore the future of technology – from artificial intelligence to blockchain to decentralized tools – and dive into how these technologies can create lasting impact, empower communities, and foster collaboration across diverse industries.
“We have to take a holistic approach to address the accelerative transformation of our digital futures, with people at the heart of the agenda, focusing on restoring and protecting humanity’s personhood and integrity, strengthening community resilience in the face of digital harms, and closing the knowledge gap between those who hold decision-making power and those who are working tirelessly to advance responsible innovation. The Social Impact Summit is an opportunity for the Blockchain Law for Social Good Center to provide a platform for multistakeholders to engage in fruitful knowledge exchange, spark bold ideas and solutions and spur community-driven global impact,” said Evin Cheikosman, Director, Blockchain Law for Social Good Center.
The 2024 Social Impact Summit will harness the blockchain industry’s momentum to explore how technology can be a catalyst for societal change, highlighting real-world examples of how technology is helping build stronger, more resilient communities, economies, and societies.
The program will include sessions on:
- Global Impact - An International Affiliated Scholars (IAS) panel exploring their research at the nexus of blockchain law and social good.
- Tech for Equity - A session exploring the transformative role of emerging technology as a tool for equitable development and social justice.
- Law and Innovation - A discussion about the intricate balance between innovation and legal and public sector engagement.
- Trust and Technology - A panel diving into how responsible technology can address challenges at the root and shape a future where you can trust content on the web.
"We're delighted to host this event alongside the Blockchain Law for Social Good Center, reinforcing our organizations' shared commitments to educating lawmakers and the public about the transformative global impact of blockchain technology,” said Marta Belcher, President and Chair, Filecoin Foundation for the Decentralized Web.
The Social Impact Summit 2024 will be held both in-person and virtually. To learn more and register to attend, please visit the event page. Follow BL4SG on X and LinkedIn to stay updated on the Summit. You can also follow FFDW for related updates on X and LinkedIn.